Reprinted from the Calhoun Chronicle

Stoney Point Church Started In Log Building

The Stoney Point church, located four or five miles north of Arnoldsburg, was built some time between 1865 and 1879. The ground for the church site was given by George Gibson, a Confederate veteran of the Civil War. He and Elizabeth Starcher were married August 17, 1865. They lived on the hill farm now owned by Arthur Morgan. and it was there that Amos Gibson was born July, 16, 1879. At some time in that space of time, the Stoney Point church was started.

Silas Downs used his team to haul the logs from all about the community. Peter Booher was another who helped with the hauling. Renzin Smith also helped with the work, and men of the community worked together to erect the log structure. Men of the area who worked included George Lynch, Sr., Peter Mace, Sam Husk, James Price, Thomas Craddock, Adam Starcher, Henry Starcher, George Gibson, Sr., and Sam Gunn. Men also came from as far as Ripley, in Jackson county, and Burning Springs, in Wirt county, to help lay up the logs.




The old log church building was pulled down in 1922 and the present new church was errected in the years 1921 and 1923, and dedicated Oct. 8, 1923. This second church was built by the people of the community, including C. C. Starcher, John and D. E. Whytsell, Will Starcher, Jack Kingsbury, George McCoy, George Lynch Jr., John Morgan, David Craddock, George Craddock, and Lovell Allen. Clarence Starcher and Arthur Morgan did the hauling of materials for this church.

Mrs. Esther Gibson, second wife of George Gibson, Sr., said that her husband was sick and unable to help much with the work on the second church, but he did "strike the first lick toward building the new church." He died before the new church was completed, but his funeral was the first to be held in the incompleted church. She wrote this brief history of the two building several years ago. Russell Nester loaned this rare old picture of the log church.

The church is on a point overlooking the West Fork of the Little Kanawha.


Work in progress
tmiller@mountain.net



Back to the front page