Notes on Francis Marion and Melissa Everson Wilmoth
The Everson page at Don Norman's family files indicates...
Melissa Everson, a daughter of Thomas Hart Benton and Ruth
(Ice) Everson, was born in Barbour County January 15, 1878 and
died in Calhoun County February 17, 1939. She married Francis Marion
Wilmoth March 20, 1897. Francis, a son of Riley and Margaret (Donley)
Wilmoth, was born in Barbour County WV April 12, 1865 and died in
Calhoun County WV May 25, 1831.
Additional notes on the family of Francis and Melissa Wilmoth, provided by Judy Miller Kerns, granddaughter of Francis and Melissa (through Janice Wilmoth who married Robert Miller).
Children of Francis Marion and Melissa (Everson) Wilmoth.
9. (1). Bernard b.Dec 17 1897
10. (2). Delia b.Mar 12 1900 d.Jan 19 1958
m.Edward Gunn (NOTE)
11. (3). Erless Virginia b.Jul 13 1902 d.May 2 1987
m.Pleasant Henry Starcher Sep 17 1919
12. (4). Benton b.Sep 5 1904
13. (5). Hazel b.Oct 9 1906
14. (6). Marion "Pete" b.Mar 5 1909
15. (7). Janice b.Apr 10 1914
16. (8). Bernice b.Apr 10 1914
m.Fred Carr (NOTE)
NOTE: Two apparant typographical errors are noted.
Edward Gunn's first name was Eddie.
Bernice Wilmoth married Fred Shaffer. Fred was the son of Carr Shaffer.
(1) Bernard Manual Wilmoth married Florence _______. They adopted Sandy who was a granddaughter of Gilbert Everson, Melissa's brother.
Photographs of the Francis Marion and Melissa Everson Wilmoth family are avaialbe AT THIS LINK.
(2) Delia Myrtle married Eddie Gunn of Mt. Zion. They were the parents of DeWitt Gunn who married Pauline Moore and Murl Gunn who married Olen Siers. Delia died in 1958 and Ed later married Allie Moran, the widow of Doug Moran. Doug and Allie were the parents of Maxine who married Dale Levering of Russett.
(3) Erles Virginia who married P. H. (Pleasant Henry) "Plez" Starcher. They were the parents of
Evelyn (m. Tony Adams),
Donald and Lonny.
Plez grew up in the Joker/Hur area.
From the Starcher page at Don Norman's family files:
Pleasant Henry Starcher and Allen Brown Starcher shared a great-great grandfather, Philip Starcher.
618.PLEASANT HENRY STARCHER 327.SARAH B. STARCHER 151.HENRY HARRISON STARCHER 28.ABRAHAM STARCHER 5.PHILIP STARCHER 2.JACOB STARCHER 1.JACOB STARCHER
Pleasant Henry Starcher, a son of Sarah B. Starcher, was born in
Calhoun County WV December 12, 1897 and died at Dayton, Ohio March 24,
1987. He married Earles Virginia Wilmoth September 17, 1919.
Virginia, a daughter of Francis m. and Melissa P. (Everson) Wilmoth,
was born in Calhoun County July 13, 1902 and died at Dayton, Ohio May
Known children of Pleasant Henry and Earles Virginia (Wilmoth)
708. (1). Lonny Leon b.Jan 23 1935
m.Janet Lucille Lechner Jul 18 1954
(4) Riley Benton who married Ellen Crispin. They were the parents of
and Donna. When Ellen died, he married Catherine _________.
(5) Hazel who married Paul Riddle. They were the parents of: Hope, Louise, Bernard, Lois (m John Johnson), Catherine (m. Bill Hupp), Pansy, Janet, and Marion Paul. They lived on the Wilmoth homeplace on the ridge up Riffle Run, which goes up the hill at the bottom of Mt Zion hill.
(6) Francis Marion, Jr. "Pete" never married.
(7) Janice Beryl married Robert Miller. They were the parents of Robert and Judy. (Janice and Bernice were twins.)
(8) Bernice Murl married Fred Shaffer of Mt. Zion and they were the parents of: Harlan, Joe (married Norma Knotts), Don, Paul "Ike" (married Carolyn Plant of Enon), Kathryn (m. Blaine Wilson) and twins, Tom and Jim. Jim married Cynthia Mace. Fred and Bernice lived at the foot of the hill (on the left) as you go down Barnes Run from the Mt. Zion Methodist church.
Obituary of Janice W. Wilmoth Miller
Janice W. Miller, 86, of Shock, died Sunday, Aug. 20, 2000, at Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital, Parkersburg.
She was born in Mt. Zion, the daughter of the late Francis Marion and Melissa Everson Wilmoth. She was a member of Shock Church of Christ and served 24 years as postmaster of Shock Post Office before retirement.
Surviving are one son, Robert L. Miller of Mineral Wells; one daughter, Jedy Kerns of Shock; four grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and a twin sister, Bernice Shaffer of Mt. Zion.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Robert L. Miller; three brothers, Bernard Wilmoth, Bentn Wilmoth and F. M. Pete Wilmoth; and three sisters, Delia Gunn, Erles Starcher and Hazel Riddle.
Services were scheduled Wednesday, 1 p.m., at Shock Church of Christ, with Vernon Kerns and Gene Miller officiating, and burial in Miller Cemetery. Visitation was also scheduled one hour prior to services at the church.
Personal communication, Judy Kerns, Shock WV
Don Norman's Family Files
Everson page at Don Norman's Family Files
Jacob Starcher page at Don Norman's Family Files
Linda Cunningham Fluharty Website lindapages.com
Calhoun County WVGenWeb, maintained by Linda Cunningham Fluharty
1900 Calhoun County Federal Census, Lee District #23
Calhoun County Obituaries
West Virginia Division of Culture and History
Vital Research Records
Work in progress
Back to the front page